Siblings who pushed kebab into mouth of drunk, sleeping man guilty of manslaughter

A brother and sister who tried to feed a drunk, sleeping man by forcing kebab meat into his mouth have been found guilty of manslaughter.

David Noble and younger sister Nicole Cavin were both found guilty after they fed the takeaway food stuff to the intoxicated 56-year-old victim, David Clark, on a train to Barrow on March 2, 2019.

They pair fed Mr Clark a piece of chicken the size of a golf ball which became lodged in his throat.

Preston’s Nightingale Court at Preston North End football heard how the siblings, who both knew the victim, had been returning from separate days out, ended up sitting together when the victim and his friend boarded the same train at Lancaster.

During the two week trial the court heard the defendants had been on a day trip to Blackpool and had changed trains at Preston to return to their hometown, Grange Over Sands, Lancs Live reports

The siblings had been drinking in the resort and bought more alcohol and kebabs before boarding the Barrow train.

Mr Clark had spent the day in Lancaster watching the Lancaster FC v Farsley Celtic match with his friend Jon Waite on May 2.

The two men had also consumed up to 15 pints each and were drunk when they boarded the train in Lancaster.

On the train, Mr Clark and Mr Waite joined Noble, Cavin and Cavin’s boyfriend at a table and were laughing and joking around.

According to witnesses the victim appeared to be sleeping when the siblings began inserting the kebab meat into his mouth.

The victim eventually involuntary vomited and awoke but collapsed as he attempted to stand.

Passengers on the train attempted to perform the Heimlich maneuver but were unable to dislodge the chicken which was stuck in Mr Clark’s throat.

One passenger relayed messages from the 999 operator to Cavin, 24, who was employed as a carer at the time of the incident, who tried in vain to help Mr Clark.

When paramedics arrived they removed more food from the victim’s throat before he was rushed to hospital where he died the following day.

Investigating officer DS Gemma Jones said: “This is an incredibly tragic case and we send our heartfelt sympathies to the family of the victim David Clark.

“We are pleased that the case has finally been brought to a conclusion.”

Detective chief inspector Steve May added: “This was an unusual and highly complex legal case and I commend the courage of those witnesses who came forward and provided statements and those who attended court to give evidence.

“The dignity and composure of Mr Clarks’ family has been exemplary throughout and I hope that they can take some comfort in the knowledge that justice has been done.

“Our investigative team deserve mention for their consistent and thorough work to see this case brought to its conclusion.”

Noble, 34, of Main Street, Grange-Over–Sands and his sister Cavin, of Market Street, Flookburgh, will be sentenced at a later date.